- James Sinegal, former CEO of Costco, said he did not care about Wall Street analysts who had criticized him for putting good treatment of employees and customers ahead of pleasing shareholders. A favorite quote attributed to Sinegal is “you have to take the shit with the sugar”
- there is a medical condition named akinetopsia where you cannot perceive the motion of objects but can still see acutely and recognize objects normally. Everything seems to be frozen in time only to “jump ahead” in time and freeze again.
- A guy who killed 70-100 people is now roaming around free, because Brazil has maximum penalty of 30 years
- Bipolar disorder may have been a climatic adaptation for humans to survive short summers (manic episodes for high productivity) and long winters (depression to slow metabolism).
- The animal handlers at the Oregon Zoo took Chendra, an Asian elephant, around to meet some other animals. The sea lions were her favorite.
- the first telephone operators were boys. However, they quickly earned a reputation for being rude and abusive to callers. Young women were hired soon after as they didn’t swear as much (and were faster).
A man and his young wife were in divorce court, but the custody of their children posed a problem.
The mother gets up and says to the judge that since she brought the children into this world, she should retain custody of them.
The man also wanted custody of his children, so the judge asked for his justification.
After a long silence, the man slowly rose from his chair and replied, “Your Honor, when I put a dollar in a vending machine and a Coke comes out, does the Coke belong to me or the machine?”