- in 2011, two men para-glided from the summit of Mt. Everest, arriving at a village in 42min and avoiding the dangerous conventional 3 day descent.
- in college, Theodor Seuss Geisel was caught drinking gin with his friends; as a result, his dean insisted he resign from the college magazine. To continue working on the magazine without the dean’s knowledge, he began signing his work with “Seuss,” which he later changed to “Dr. Seuss.”
- the temperature in F can be approximated by counting the number of times a cricket chirps in 14 seconds and adding 40.
- in Iceland, If a child’s name is not on a recognised list of 1,853 female and 1,712 male names, the parents must seek the approval of a body called the Icelandic Naming Committee.
- James Joyce’s Ulysses contains more vocabulary words than Shakespeare’s entire canon
- 100,000 years ago, at least three major rivers existed in Sahara
- measuring from the Earth’s core, the highest mountain in the world is Mt. Chimborazo in Ecuador, dwarfing Mt. Everest by 1.5 miles. This is because Earth is a flattened (rather than perfect) sphere and Ecuador is closer to the equator.
Gay (as happy) game