- an MIT developed a wristband that can regulate your “thermal comfort,” possibly eliminating the need for central heating and cooling.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark grossed $384 million dollars in worldwide ticket sales. But it only had a budget of $18 million, giving it a profit ratio of over two-thousand percent.
- the Budget for the Makeup of Dallas Buyers Club was $250. The film would go on to win the oscar for Best Makeup.
- the “Fi” in “WiFi” doesn’t mean anything (including Wireless Fidelity). The creators just called it that because it rhymed with “HiFi”.
- Scotland Yard, one of the world’s best-known police agencies, is built on top of an unsolved crime scene
- George RR Martin’s A Storm of Swords lost the 2001 Hugo Award for Best Novel to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. His response? “Eat your heart out, Rowling. Maybe you have billions of dollars and my Hugo, but you don’t have readers like these.”
- A Boeing 737 gets better gas mileage than a Honda Odyssey, a Toyota Camry and a Harley Davidson Sportster (per person)