- Finnish babies sleep in cardboard boxes. The government offer expectant mothers a maternity starter kit or a cash grant. 95% opt for the kit which includes a cardboard box that doubles as a crib. It has helped Finland achieve one of the world’s lowest infant mortality rates.
- The cost of college textbooks has risen 812% in the past 30 years—that’s more than healthcare costs, housing prices, and college tuitions, all of which have risen faster than the rate of inflation.
- 50 years ago, the citizens of São Paulo were so upset w/ their government that they elected a female rhinoceros named Cacareco (meaning rubbish) to the city council in protest. She was the top vote getter w/ over 100,000 votes.
- In 1904, tea bags were invented accidentally. The inventor, Thomas Sullivan, decided that it was cheaper to send small samples to potential customers in silk bags instead of boxes. The recipients believed they were meant to be dunked and soon Sullivan was flooded with orders for his “tea bags”.
- Polish painter, Rafał Bujnowski, painted a photo-realistic self-portrait in black and white, had it photographed and enclosed the picture as his official photo in the U.S.A. visa application form. Eventually, the artist received a passport with a replica of his own painting.
- a survivor from the 2011 Norway attacks by Anders Breivik was arrested and detained for 17 hours because “he did not react to the carnage with the same tears and hysteria as most of the other survivors”.
Appealing (Android) App