Splendid space shot
- the word “Jay” used to mean stupid, and was eventually applied to country folk, who were seen as unworldly. When these country folk, or Jays, came to the city, they didn’t understand traffic signals and crosswalks and crossed wherever and whenever they could. Thus, they were “jaywalking.”
- Composer Arnold Schoenberg had Triskaidekaphobia. He feared the number 13 so much that he called it 12A instead of 13, and when he was 76 (7+6=13) he stayed in bed all day on friday the 13th, to avoid any danger. And died that night.
- kellogg’s claim that their cereal “improves kids’ cognitive functions by nearly 20%” was based on a study where the control group was given no breakfast, and the improvement was 11%
- Elefantenrennen (elephant racing) is the German word for when one truck tries to overtake another truck with a minimal speed difference, blocking all lanes in the process.
- the odor you smell before it rains is ozone pulled from higher altitudes by the coming storm’s downdrafts.
- The Florida Public Service Commission gave Cape Canaveral the 321 area code as an homage to their launching spacecrafts. 3…2…1… Blastoff!