- until 1987, heart surgery (and other surgeries) could be performed on babies with no anaesthesia, as it was commonly thought that babies could not feel pain
- Physicists have discovered an exotic new type of particle that they call a quantum droplet. In the experiments using an ultra-fast laser emitting about 100 million pulses per second, the quantum droplet appeared for only about 2.5 billionths of a second.
- two Christian monks smuggled silkworms out of China in bamboo canes. Those silkworms were used to give the Byzantine Empire a trade monopoly in Europe, which became the foundation of their economy for the next 650 years.
- During WWII, a young actress decided to boost morale by attempting to kiss 10,000 young soldiers, she puckered up to 733 the first day!
- the world’s longest lasting light bulb has been burning for the past 113 years