- Viggo Mortensen, the actor who played Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, can speak English, Danish, Spanish, French, Italian, Norwegian, and Swedish
- Bishnu Shrestha, a retired Gurkha soldier, who was aboard a train attacked by a group of 40 thieves. When the thieves attempted to rape a passenger next to him, he pulled out his khukuri, proceeding to kill three of the attackers and injuring 8 more before the rest fled.
- Jim Lovell said in his book that if the Apollo 13 crew stayed still long enough when the electricity shut off, their body heat would form a cocoon of warm air around them. With everything shut down as much as possible he said even a slight movement would destroy the layer of heat.
- the Aral Sea, once the 4th largest lake in the world, has been steadily shrinking since the 1960’s. It’s now 1/10th the original size. Nearly 90% of the water has now given way to sandy desert with wrecks of beached boats dotting the surface.
- political analyst Dr. Ronald A. Faucheux has correctly predicted 98% of winners in over 2,500 United States elections, sometimes a year or more prior to election day.
- 800 different languages are spoken in New York City, making it the most linguistically diverse city on Earth.
- When news of the Pearl Harbor attack arrived at Hitler’s headquarters, one of the assembled Nazi generals embarrassedly asked the rest of the group where Pearl Harbor was. Nobody was able to answer him and a world map had to be consulted
- the native americans planted three sisters (corn, beans, and squash) together so that they would benefit eachother. The corn provides a structure for the beans to climb. The beans provide the nitrogen to the soil, and the squash spreads along the ground preventing weeds.