- when Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, commander of the all-black 54th Regiment during the American Civil War, died at Fort Wagner, he was stripped and buried with his men as an insult. His father, however, proclaimed that he was proud to know that his son rests with his brave and devoted soldiers.
- after a Soviet hostage was found dead, KGB agents castrated the nephew of the hostage taker and sent the severed organs as well as a list of other known family members to the hostage taker. The remaining Soviet hostages were quickly released.
- If Manhattan had the same population density as Alaska, there would only be about 28 people in Manhattan.
- If Alaska had the population density of Manhattan there would be 41 billion people there.
- the Chief Translator for the European Parliament can speak 32 different languages fluently
- farmers in Kenya are using elephants’ natural fears of bees and building “beehive fences” that keep wild elephants from trampling the crops. It keeps the farms safe, and prevents farmers having to kill elephants to defend their livelihood!