- Clint Eastwood was in a plane which crashed into the sea. He and the pilot escaped the sinking aircraft and swam 3 miles to safety.
- a Chinese law promulgated in 1981 requires that every citizen over the age of 11 plant at least one tree per year.
- a chimpanzee that was socialized to humans since birth could log onto a computer to look at pictures, watch television using a remote control, brush his teeth, feed hay to his owner’s horses, water plants and learned the schedule of passing ice cream trucks.
- Thomas Harris based his character Hannibal Lecter on a real person, a doctor who murdered and dismembered his victims and treated patients while in prison. He spent nearly 40 years in prison before being released in 2000. He went back to practicing medicine.
- An average cat has 1-8 kittens per litter and 2-3 litters per year. During her productive life, one female cat could have more than 100 kittens. A single pair of cats and their kittens can produce as many as 420,000 kittens in just 7 years.
- A Dutch crime writer wrote a pretty suspicious book about seven ways to kill your spouse a year after his wife disappeared. He became a celebrity and spent the next decade hinting – in print and on TV – that he had murdered her. Finally, it turned out that he really had.