- That by following up on an ancient Russian way of keeping milk from going sour — by putting a frog in the bucket of milk — scientists have identified a wealth of new antibiotic substances.
- the sabre-tooth squirrel featured in the 2002 film Ice Age was fictional… until a real one was discovered in 2011.
- in 2006, the FBI planted a spy in a Southern California mosque and disguised him as a radical Muslim. The Muslims in the mosque ended up reporting him to the FBI for being a potentially dangerous extremist.
- a Brisbane golf course became infested with sharks after a river broke its banks and flooded the area. The sharks became stranded when the water receded, but now are thriving and even breeding.
- when there were no clocks, candle clocks were used that burned a set amount of hours. If you wanted an alarm, you pushed a nail at the desired time length in the candle and when it melted to that point, the nail would fall and clank on the metal holder alerting you.