Splendid space shot
- during the Spanish-American war, a warship sent to capture Guam fired 13 shots at the harbour fort; the Spanish sent an officer out to aplogise for not returning the ‘salute’ as they were out of gunpowder; they hadn’t been informed they were at war.
- Neanderthals had larger brains and much stronger bodies than modern day humans and even sailed thousands of years before us.
- there is a frog which lets itself completely freeze into a ‘frogsicle’ every Winter. Its heart stills, blood stops flowing, and eyes go white because its lenses freeze. In the Summer it thaws and hops away, good as new!
- a flight attendant survived falling 33,000 feet after her plane was destroyed by a bomb. It’s the longest anyone’s even fallen and lived.
- a painting bought by a priest for £400 was revealed on Antiques Roadshow UK to be the work of the 17th Century master Sir Anthony Van Dyck, worth £400,000. The priest was happy to have the extra money to buy new church bells.