- “Turning a blind eye” is thought to come from Admiral Horatio Nelson disobeying an order to withdraw during a naval battle; allegedly putting a telescope to his blind eye & saying “You know, Foley, I have only one eye – and I have a right to be blind sometimes. I really do not see the signal.”
- not a single engineer made it off the Titanic: they stayed and kept the power on so others could escape.
- after the American Revolution from the British, in 1777, Morocco was the first country to recognize the United States of America. The treaty is still in force, constituting the longest unbroken treaty in U.S. history.
- The Giant Redwood Tree is so tall that in order to get water near the top of the tree, it uses “air roots” to collect water out of the fog.
- due to generations of healthier diet, the average American soldier was several inches taller than the average British soldier at the time of the American Revolution
- Nicaragua invaded Costa Rica in 2010, because of a misplaced border on Google Maps