- Enzo Ferrari told a man “you may be able to drive a tractor but you will never be able to handle a Ferrari Properly” the man was so pissed he vowed to create the perfect car, his name, Ferruccio Lamborghini.
- In Italy six scientists were charged with manslaughter because they didn’t predict an earthquake which killed 309 people.
- Neil Armstrong, the first man to step foot on the moon, carried with him a piece of the cloth and wood from the original 1903 Wright Flyer.
- Cunningham’s Law – “the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it’s to post the wrong answer.”
- In 585 BC a solar eclipse occurred in the middle of a battle between the Lydians and the Medes. They promptly ceased fighting and signed a peace treaty.
- Nikita Khrushchev made a speech denouncing Stalin that was so shocking it caused heart attacks for some in attendance.
- After the first iPhone was unveiled in 2007, Google engineers were forced to start all over on a secret smartphone they had spent two years working on.
Wicked Wikipedia article
- On August 21, 1986 Lake Nyos suddenly emitted a large cloud of CO2, which suffocated 1,700 people and 3,500 livestock in nearby towns and villages.
- “The diving bell spider or water spider, Argyroneta aquatica, is the only species of spider known to live entirely under water.”
- William Playfair, the inventor of the line, bar, and pie charts.
- Spaghetti-tree hoax
Articulate (Reddit) article
- How can hormones change the facial structure of a full grown person (e.g. female bodybuilders or transsexuals)?
- Why is it that the majority of humans are right handed?
- How does Alzheimer’s Disease lead to death?
- ELI5: Why do crunchy foods like chips get chewey when go stale, and things that are supposed to be chewy like bread get crunchy?
- ELI5: How are underwater tunnel highways, like the Lincoln and Holland Tunnel, built?