- Near the end of WWII, after viewing films of Nazi concentration camps, many German prisoners in the U.S. formally burned their uniforms and volunteered to fight in the war against Japan.
- The comedy film My Cousin Vinny is often praised by lawyers due to its accurate depiction of courtroom procedure, something very rare in films which portray trials. It is even used as a textbook example by law professors to demonstrate voir dire and cross examination.
- There are still 5 people living who were born in the 1800s.
- Oxford University is older then the Aztec civilization. Oxford: 1249. Founding of Tenochtitlán: 1325.
- Arthur Guinness was an exceptional individual who used the money he made from brewing to help relief of the poor, abolish dueling, promote literacy, and provide this workers with a higher standard of living.
Wicked Wikipedia article
- The Slow Movement advocates a cultural shift toward slowing down life’s pace so to combat time poverty, incivility, and workaholism
- George Stinney at 14 was the youngest person executed in the United States
- Crab mentality
Articulate (Reddit) article
- When a lake freezes, why don’t the fish that inhabit the lake die because of lower temperatures?
- Is there any significance at all to Earth’s position in the universe? Anything at all unusual? Or are we situated in a completely unremarkable neighborhood?
- ELI5: How was it decided that people became “adults” when they turned 18? Why is that age significant?
- ELI5: Measles have reapeared in the USA because of anti-vaccination movements. Why should I care if I’m vaccinated, aren’t I protected from it?
- ELI5: Why are ice hockey players allowed to beat the shit out of each other?