- Beethoven won a sight reading piano competition by turning his sheet music upside down, playing it, then improvising on one of its themes for thirty minutes. His opponent, Daniel Steibelt, never returned to challenge him again.
- the Black Mamba snake, one of the most poisonous snakes in the world, contains pain-relieving compounds called mambalgins which could be a better painkiller (and with less side effects) than morphine.
- After smallpox was eradicated, only 2 stocks remained. One in the USSR, the other in the USA. No one knows what happened to the vials after the fall of the USSR. In response in 2001 the U.S. Authorities stockpiled enough vaccines to inoculate their entire population.
- A small percentage of static on televisions is actually radioactive resonance from the big bang 13 billion years ago.
- Kentucky has more barrels of borboun than people.