- British passengers on the Titanic died in disproportionate numbers because they queued politely for lifeboats.
- Domino’s Pizza logo has 3 dots because that’s how many stores there were in 1969. They planned to add a new dot for every store that opened, but that was quickly scrapped as the franchise grew rapidly.
- Wilson the volleyball from the movie ‘Cast Away’ won a ‘Best Inanimate Object’ award.
- After Jesse Owens won 4 gold medals in the 1936 Olympics held in Berlin, Adolf Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself. Honors were not bestowed upon Jesse Owens by either President Franklin D. Roosevelt or his successor Harry S. Truman during their terms.
- Japan has 67 flavors of Fanta, including ‘The Mystery Fruit’, ‘Genius Energy’ and ‘Hip Hop’ flavor.
- Cinderella’s slippers were not actually made of glass. A translation mistake from the original french version to english translated “vair” (fur) to “verre” (glass), which in french are pronounced exactly the same.
Wicked Wikipedia article
- If you share a class or office with 70 people, there’s a 99.9% chance two people have the same birthday [The Birthday Problem]
- Before Diana Dors (an actress) died in 1984 told her son she was leaving him £2 million in secret bank accounts. She gave him a coded message. Her husband had the key but he soon committed suicide in grief. The son hired computer forensic specialists but he was never able to solve the code.
- “Peggy Sue” by Buddy Holly was originally called *Cindy Lue* but he changed it to help his drummer get back together with his girlfriend, Peggy Sue.
- Cicada 3301 – “the most elaborate and mysterious puzzle of the internet age”
Articulate (Reddit) article
- Why is it that fish or other aquatic life can suddenly appear in secluded ponds or lakes?
- Where do flys go at night?
- Japan has smoking population that is about 1/3 of its total population. How do the they have the second longest life expectancy in the world, when so many people smoke?
- Did dinosaurs actually roar or is it just a construct of movies to make them scarier?
- ELI5: Is marijuana really less dangerous than tobacco and alcohol?
- ELI5: Does exercise and eating healthy “unclog” our arteries? Or do our arteries build up plaque permanently?
- ELI5: The difference between Miles and Nautical Miles and why we need two different measurements?