- John Swartzwelder, a writer for the Simpsons used to write episodes while sitting in a booth at a coffee shop “drinking copious amounts of coffee and smoking endless cigarettes”. When California passed an anti-smoking law, he bought the diner booth and installed it in his house.
- Saturn’s rings will one day disappear. They will either disperse into space or get sucked into the planet by its gravity.
- In 1740, a 16-Year-Old English Boy, having been convicted of rape and murder, was hanged by the neck for 20 minutes. After being cut down, his body was sent to be dissected when he began to show signs of life. After making a full recovery, his sentence was commuted to exile.
- 50 to 90 percent of the languages that are spoken today are expected to become extinct by the year 2100.
Wicked Wikipedia article
- Biangbiang noodles, i.e the most complicated Chinese character, containing 58 strokes
- Lists of words having different meanings in American and British English
- In a single quarry on the tiny Swedish island of Ytterby an ore was found that directly lead to the discovery of 4 new elements, all named for the small village: yttrium (Y), erbium (Er), terbium (Tb), and ytterbium (Yb).
Articulate (Reddit) article
- What is a sore throat?
- If enamel can’t be regenerated, how is it generated in the first place?
- Why does acne mainly appear on the face, neck, and chest rather than sweatier places like the armpits or feet?
- ELI5: When weather cancels 2800 flights, and 50k people are displaced, how to they all get back on schedule since so many of the flights for the next few days are already booked up?
- ELI5 If our brain works with electrical pulses, why does an EMP not shut our brain down?