- The real crew on the Captain Phillips ship say that he is a fraud, he endangered them, the film is a lie, and they’ve sued for “willful, wanton and conscious disregard for their safety”.
- Sir Ian McKellen, broke down an cried whilst filming ‘The Hobbit’ because he had to film with a just a green screen instead of with other actors, he said “this is not why I became an actor”
- A man from Texas died after attempting to play Russian roulette with a semi-automatic pistol. He was apparently unaware that semi-automatic pistols automatically insert a cartridge into the firing chamber when the gun is cocked. He was posthumously awarded a Darwin Award.
- A large number of past Olympic venues are now sitting abandoned with no intention of repurposing
- Facebook is blue because Mark Zuckerberg is colorblind and sees blue best.
Wicked Wikipedia article
- Island gigantism is one aspect of the more general “island rule”, which posits that when mainland animals colonize islands, small species tend to evolve larger bodies, and large species tend to evolve smaller bodies.
- List of genocides by death toll
Articulate (Reddit) article
- Why are modern locomotives powered by diesel generators that power electric motors? How can this be more efficient/powerful than a direct mechanical connection or hydraulic?
- Earth makes an elliptical orbit and on december 22nd our planet lies closer to the sun than on june 21st. Does that mean summers are warmer in the southern hemisphere?
- What is actually happening when one “stands up too fast” and their vision goes dark temporarily?
- ELI5:What does a microwave do differently when you put it on defrost instead of regular heat?
- ELI5: Why do we get bored?