- The Shiba Inu nearly became extinct during World War II due to a combination of food shortage and a post-war distemper epidemic. All subsequent dogs were bred from the only three surviving bloodlines.
- At the end of 2006, Reddit only had 39 subreddits. More than 340,000 subreddits were created since then.
- Japanese engineers were asked to redesign the front end of the Bullet Train because it carried enough speed to create a sonic boom whenever it exited a tunnel. Residents could feel the blast from miles away.
- As recently as 2009, China had elementary schools wholly sponsored by big tobacco. One in Sichuan had a message at the front gate that said “Tobacco can help you become an achiever”
- When preparing for his role in The Last of the Mohicans, Daniel Day Lewis taught himself how to live as a survivalist and refused to eat anything he hadn’t killed himself.
Wicked Wikipedia article
- IKEA effect
- Gerovital H3
- Virginia Woolf’s suicide note to her husband: “Dearest, I feel certain that I am going mad again. I feel we can’t go through another of those terrible times. And I shan’t recover this time. I begin to hear voices…”
Articulate (Reddit) article
- The ‘air’ inside some fruits, for example peppers, what is it composed of? Does it come from the plant? Does the void have a specific purpose?
- Do you get any of the benefits of sleep from just lying still in bed with your eyes closed (as happens with insomnia)?
- ELI5: Why did my hair change from blonde as a child to brunette in my teens?
- ELI5: According to e = mc² how can light (being a mass less particle) have energy?
- ELI5: When a bank is robbed, who loses the money?