- a Russian man, mad with an unsolicited credit card offer, scanned, edited, printed, and sent it back. The bank approved 0% interest, no fees, unlimited credit, and paying $182,000 for cancelling his account. They sued him years later, he won, and he’s counter-suing them for closing his account.
- after Kenny Waters was convicted of murder, his sister put herself through college and law school to prove his innocence. She worked with the Innocence Project to get DNA tested, and he was freed. The 2010 movie “Conviction”, starring Hillary Swank, was based on his story.
- the world’s biggest and most advanced radio telescope will be built by 2024. It can scan the sky 10,000 times faster and with 50 times the sensitivity of any other telescope, it will be able to see 10 times further into the universe and detect signals that are 10 times older
- a French chemist unboiled an egg
- Nazis formed a plan in 1939 to counterfeit the British pound to cause hyperinflation. Using a german concentration camp, they manufactured $132 million GBP, which is the equivalent of $6-7 billion modern-day pounds. They partially succeeded.
- Radiation is often measured as “banana equivalent doses,” where 1 dose is the amount of radioactivity in a banana.
Wicked Wikipedia article
- New York Times Bestseller list is editorial content. The editors choose which books are “bestsellers.”
- Akons birth name is Aliaune Damala Bouga Time Bongo Puru Nacka Lu Lu Lu Badara Akon Thiam.
- 13.6% of black Africans in South African are HIV+ while only 0.3% of whites in South Africa are.
- Princess Olga ain’t nothing to fuck with
Articulate (Reddit) article
- Does killing a stray ant in the home decrease the likelihood that more ants will appear in the future?
- Are there any cases of other animal species displaying symptoms analogous to human mental conditions (such as schizophrenia, depression etc.)?
- What would happen if a nuclear bomb was detonated in a 1km thick block of steel?
- What color is the moon?
- ELI5: Why are there so many islands in the Pacific ocean, but not the Atlantic Ocean?
- ELI5: Why do we hear so much about garbage islands, but can’t see any on Google Maps?