- Macklemore and his hit “Thrift Shop” was the first time since 1994 that a song reached number 1 on the Hot 100 chart without the support of a major record label.
- Iceland has one of the largest gun ownership rates in the world, and yet has one of the lowest crime rates in the world
- The Pirate Bay tried buying their own island in hopes of making their own country with no copyright laws.
- LifeLock, an ID protection firm, ran a promotional in which its CEO, being so confident in the service, made his Social Security Number public. This resulted in him being the victim of identity theft 13 times, in addition to a $12 million fine for false advertising.
- Under current South Korean laws if war breaks out South Korea doesn’t want to control its own military instead it wants the Americans to tell them what to do
- the region of Patagonia in South America originates from the Spanish term “patagón”, roughly translating to ‘giants’, given to natives by Magellan when encountering the local tribe of Tehuelches along the coast. Archaeologists have determined their average male height to have been 208 cm.
- An Indian man single-handedly planted a 1,360 acre forest that is home to a complex, thriving ecosystem.
- French grammarian Dominique Bouhours’s last words are “I am about to — or I am going to — die: either expression is correct.”
- A Dutch archaeologist found a lost castle they had stopped looking for 20 years ago, using Google Earth.
- Ben Franklin wrote a scientific essay about farts called “Fart Proudly”