- Cats are one of the only animals to domesticate themselves and approached humans on their own terms.
- In the 1980s a man with severe OCD shot himself in the head in an attempt to commit suicide. Instead of killing him, the bullet destroyed the part of his brain that was responsible for his OCD, and he went on to become a straight-A college student five years later.
- After a girl in his community was killed by a red-light runner, a 74 year old Chinese man spent an entire day hurling bricks at bad drivers. With his neighborhood cheering him on, he smashed over 30 red-light runners’ cars before the police asked him to stop.
- An artificial Christmas tree would have to be reused for more than 20 years to be “greener” than buying a fresh-cut tree annually.
- Ex-Prime Minister of Australia Bob Hawke once held the world-speed record for beer drinking. In his memoirs he suggested that this single feat may have contributed to his political success more than any other, by endearing him to a voting population with a strong beer culture.
- President Hoover and his wife both spoke Mandarin Chinese and would use it in the White House to foil eavesdroppers.
- The webcam was invented so that Computer Scientists at Cambridge University could see whether the coffee pot was full or not from different rooms.
- after the French Revolution, France used a simplified decimal time and calendar system for 13 years which had 10 hours a day, 100 minutes per hour, and 100 seconds per minute.
- The first postage stamp to depict a nude woman was printed in Spain in 1930, in commemoration of Goya’s painting ‘La maja desnuda’ (the nude maja). In the same year, the United States government barred and returned any mail bearing the stamps.
- In addition to being a Nobel-winning physicist, Richard Feynman was also a semi-secret artist and was pretty good at drawing strippers.