- Awarding people money for doing well in IQ tests causes them to score better, $10 increased people’s score by 20 IQ points. IQ tests don’t just measure intelligence they also measure effort.
- During the aftermath of 9/11, Search and Rescue dogs found so few living people, that it caused them great stress because they believed they had failed. Handlers and Rescue workers had to regularly hide in the rubble in order to give the rescue dogs a successful find, and keep their spirits up.
- Despite making up <0.1% of the prison population, the Aryan Brotherhood gang is responsible for 18-25% of homicides in the federal prison system.
- Nursing homes in Germany have fake bus stops to keep Alzheimer’s patients from wandering away.
- Korean military created a professional StarCraft team so their country’s top player could continue to compete while he was in the Air Force.
- There was a dutch man born in 1912, Mirin Dajo, who willingly had an actual sword thrust through his body multiple times without organ damage. He was taught this method by Indian mystics and performed it in public.
- Despite early concerns, the Human Genome Project finished 2 years ahead of schedule and $400 million under budget.
- Lichtenstein and Haiti developed identical national flags independently of each other. No one realized until the two countries competed against each other in the 1936 Summer Olympics under the same flag.
- In Georgia there is an airtight room, sealed in 1940, called the Crypt of Civilization. It contains numerous artifacts documenting what life was like at the time of sealing, and is scheduled to be opened in the year AD 8113.
- Since the 11th century there have only been two cases of British royal marriages where the couple have been unrelated.