- Mad Magazine publisher William Gaines once took his entire staff to Haiti to convince the sole Haitian subscriber to renew. When a neighbor also bought a subscription Gaines then declared the trip to be a financial success because the magazine had doubled its Haitian circulation.
- India has banned dolphin captivity and referred to dolphins as “non human persons”.
- Crows recognise human faces and hold grudges against ones they do not like.
- In english, the name of every number shares a letter with each neighbor. One shares an O with two, which shares a T with three, which shares an R with four, which shares an F with five, which shares an I with six — and so on indefinitely.
- Unwashed eggs still have their protective coating, the bloom, and are safe to store on the counter. Many modern countries wash eggs before sale so they ‘look’ cleaner and safer, but this opens the pores of the shell for infection from bacteria during storage time.
- The Chernobyl nuclear plant continued to produce electricity until finally decommissioned in 2000.
- Bob Odenkirk, best known for playing Saul Goodman on Breaking Bad, was originally cast to play Michael Scott from the Office, but last minute schedule changes resulted with Steve Carell getting the role
- If a dead whale is found on a British beach, the head belongs to the king and the tail to the queen.
- During the outbreak of World War II, London Zoo killed all their venomous animals in case the zoo was bombed and the animals escaped
- Hitler, after a total war economy was instituted in 1943, had the women’s cosmetics industry gradually closed down rather than banned outright to avoid upsetting Eva Braun.
Wicked Wikipedia article
- Jevons’ Paradox: increasing the efficiency of resource consumption leads to more, not less, of the resource being consumed
- List of unusual deaths
- “…as an 18-year-old high school student in San Diego, California—Gardner stayed awake for 264.4 hours (eleven days), breaking the previous record of 260 hours and 17 minutes…”
- Kaspar Hauser was a German youth who claimed to have grown up in the total isolation of a darkened cell. Many now believe he was a pathological liar.
Articulate (Reddit) article
- ELI5:How do digital devices know how much energy is left in their batteries?
- ELI5: The difference between ®, ©, and ™
- ELI5: Why was/is there such an incredible fear of Communism?
- ELI5: If nearly all the countries are in debt or in a financial crisis, where is all the money going?
- Theoretically, what’s the farthest back in time a human could travel and still safely breathe the Earth’s atmosphere?
- Why doesn’t the water in rivers, streams and lakes just go into the ground?
- Why is Chlorine so effective in killing anything alive?
- How does our body know/learn not to ‘wet the bed’ as we grow older?