- Cats (mainly female) bring you dead animals such as mice because they don’t think you could have caught one on your own, all to teach you their hunting wisdom under natural instinct
- Jimi Hendrix enlisted in the army to avoid going to prison. He was caught masturbating,sleeping in, smoking weed, and sleeping on duty. He was discharged with a broken ankle after a parachute jump.
- Men and women’s clothes are buttoned on opposite sides because in high society, men generally dressed themselves whereas women were dressed by servants. Reversing the buttons on women’s clothes made the job faster and easier.
- Public Policy Polling conducted a poll in 2013 that found 27% of Americans thought hipsters should be assessed a special tax for being annoying
- ‘Blood Feuds’ are still active in Albania. If someone kills someone, the family then kills someone from their family and it goes back and forth. The only safe haven is your home. Some feuds are decades old, and some children hardly leave their home to stay safe.
- AMC only allowed Breaking Bad to use the word ‘fuck’ once per season, leading to lengthy discussions among the show’s writers about where it could be best deployed. (Vince Gilligan interview, starting at 21 minute mark)
- When Stephen Hawking gave a lecture in Japan he was asked not to mention the possible re-collapse of the universe, billions of years into the future, for fears of the effects on the stock exchange
- Carlsberg brewery gifted Niels Bohr a house with a pipeline connected to its brewery next door, thus providing him with free beer for life
Wicked Wikipedia article
- The Ica stones were found in Ica Province, Peru. They bear a variety of diagrams, depictions of dinosaurs and what is alleged to be advanced technology. These are recognised as modern curiosities or hoaxes
- Concert etiquette
- List of Emerging Technologies
- Forest swastika
Articulate (Reddit) article
- Why can’t I list every book I know, but I can tell you if I own it?
- Why is glass so chemically stable? Why are there so few materials that cannot be handled or stored in glass?
- The Mars rover found that Martian soil is composed of about 2% water. How significant is this number? What about compared to the Sahara? What else should we expect after finding this water on Mars?
- Why do we have different sized dogs but all the domestic cats are (roughly) the same size?
- If air is mostly nitrogen and dirt is mostly carbon, why do plants get all their nitrogen from the soil and all their carbon from the air?
- ELI5: Why does the enormous cost of the USA’s military never feature in any discussions or negotiations regarding deficit reduction. Neither party brings it up, the press generally don’t seem to comment in much depth. Seems like the elephant in the room.
- Did the insects with queens (bees, ants, wasps, termites) all evolve from a common ancestor with queens, or is their social organization an example of convergent evolution?
- ELI5: How is it possible that people still live in Hiroshima & Nagasaki, even though atomic pollution is supposed to stay for thousands years
- ELI5:Why do I see articles daily practically saying we have found a cure for things like cancer, yet no cure actually exists?