- Researchers have calculated that DNA has a 521 year half-life, meaning the oldest clone-able samples of DNA could be no more than 2 million years old, ruling out any possibility of ever replicating dinosaurs, as the youngest dinosaurs were around more than 65 million years ago.
- lipstick may contain metal in toxic amounts. Daily use of lipstick and/or lip gloss may expose women to excessive amounts of the metal chromium which is associated with stomach cancer. Also, 75% of products tested contain lead. There is no way for consumers to find out a product’s metal content.
- during WW2, a German fighter ace noticed how a US B17 was too damaged to fight back, escorted it back to Britain, risking execution in the process. After the war, both pilots became best friends, whilst this event symbolised one of the greatest acts of chivalry in war
- black olives sold in cans are actually green olives that are treated with chemicals such as iron salt to oxidize and turn black and look ‘more attractive’.
- Alec Guinness, the actor who played Obi-wan Kenobi, despised star wars calling it “fairy tale rubbish.” Regardless, he was one of the few cast members who believed the film would be a hit and negotiated a deal for 2% of the gross royalties paid to George Lucas. This made him a very rich man
- co-creator of Twin Peaks wrote a pilot in 1999 about “survivors of a plane crash who are stranded on a tropical island, which seems to have mysterious supernatural powers.”
- The first record of a tomato based pasta sauce was in the 1790. Italian cuisine had no tomatoes until after New World contact since tomatoes originate from the Americas.
- in Antarctica there is a town called Villa Las Estrellas with a primary school consisting of approximately 15 students and contains 3 computers providing the town’s access to the internet.
- the “Man in the Iron Mask” was based on an actual prisoner in France who was held there for 34 years. He was never seen without a black velvet mask, and no one knows who he really was or why he always wore the mask.
- Picasso burned most of his early work to keep his apartment warm because he was poor.
- Nation of Islam believes a scientist named Yakub created the white race in a 600 year eugenics program on the island of Patmos.
Joe had a blind date with Maria for the prom and, as the evening progressed, he found himself more and more attracted to her.
After some really passionate embracing, he said: “Tell me, do you object to making love?”
“That is something I have never done before,” Maria replied.
“Never made love? You mean you are a virgin?” Joe was amazed!
“No, silly,” she giggled, “I’ve never objected!”