- since the 19th century, western music has had a ‘Pitch Shift’ – in effect, a C in Mozart’s day was half of a semitone lower than a C is today – and all music today is sharper than several composers wrote it.
- Bank of America has agreed to pay $410 million to settle its part in a class action lawsuit that accuses it and more than two dozen other lenders of manipulating debit transactions in order to charge excessive overdraft fees
- between 1970 and 1973, four Israeli fighter pilots translated The Hobbit from English to Hebrew to pass the time in an Egyptian prison, where they were held as POWs. The pilots’ translation was published commercially in 1977, and up until 2012 was considered the best Hebrew version of the book.
- there is a fungus that grows off of gamma radiation growing in Chernobyl’s nuclear remains.
- one of the earliest frozen pizza companies was actually run by a family named Pizza
- in 1979 when New York City made it illegal to carry open containers of alcohol in public, the law was pitched to only target the anti-social homeless. A city councilman supporting the law: “We do not recklessly expect the police to give a summons to a Con Ed worker having a beer with his lunch”.
Wicked Wikipedia article
- June and Jennifer Gibbons – ‘The Silent Twins’
- An orca that has killed at least three people, bitten off a drifter’s testicles, and sired over 20 offspring
- United States federal government shutdown of 2013
Articulate (Reddit) article
- ELI5: How can paparazzi stalk celebrities and harass them legally?
- ELI5: What would hallucinogens be like for blind people?
- ELI5: Why do humans have such long lifespans compared to other animals?
- Can cats be allergic to humans in the same way humans are allergic to cats?
- Can a bright light outside the visible spectrum hurt your eyes?