- Alcatraz was once the only federal penitentiary in the U.S. that provided hot showers for its inmates. Prison staff reasoned that inmates who were used to warm, comfortable water would not be able to withstand the freezing San Francisco Bay during an escape attempt.
- a lawyer sought out a 90yo lady who agreed to give him her apartment if he paid her $500 each month for the rest of her life. She became the oldest living person ever, living for another 30 years and even outliving the lawyer who by then had paid her $180,000 – twice the value of the apartment
- there are languages without the terms “Left, Right, Front, and Behind.” These cultures use “North, South, East, and West” their whole lives no matter if they are in a room or in the woods. The result is a compass brain. They always know how they are oriented.
- over 80% of the world’s eyewear manufacturer and retailer brands are owned and operated by Luxottica Group, a main reason why glasses are so expensive.
- The decision to ground all planes in the U.S. on September 11th was made by one man, Ben Sliney, one of the FAA’s National Operations Managers. It was his first day in that position.
- After Dave Grohl left his first band, they decided to quit because they knew they’d never find a drummer as good as him.
- the cast of Friends earned at least $88,460,000 over its 10 seasons. EACH. (This does not include syndication royalties negotiated from the 5th season onwards)
- there’s a computer marketed to the Amish. It has no Internet, no video, no music.
- When a frog swallows its prey, it blinks, which pushes its eyeballs down on top of the mouth to help push the food down its throat.
- The Catholic Church unknowingly made Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha) a saint after the Christianization of his life story in the 14th century.
Appealing (Android) App